Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Angels in SUVs

It turns out angels drive black SUVs in Victoria, Texas. At least a lot of them do.

Let's rewind. Happily, I am sitting here now as Theresa peacefully naps. The extreme fussy phase she was in seems to be abating (knock on wood!). But in the midst of it last week, Chris and I were both pretty frazzled. I was feeling pretty depressed and discouraged. It didn't help that the days were long, gray, and rainy and the only thing that would calm my poor baby was a 20-25 minute walk outside in her carrier. So, all day long I went out again and again into the rain with my little baby and my broken umbrella. One morning I think I looked particularly ridiculous: pajamas, unbrushed hair, broken umbrella, walking in the rain throughout the neighborhood at about 7am. Each of these hard days, I was reminded of God's love and mercy. He always pulled me through. I just needed to stop fearing and have faith! One of the things that brought me hope and smiles was the kindness of strangers. Several times different women---most of them in big SUVs---would pull over and offer me a ride. I could tell some of them had gone out of their way to drive over to me. I would smile and explain that I had to walk to help my baby get to sleep and they'd smile understandingly. Just those gestures of care, awareness, and compassion meant a lot. So, thank you SUV angels of South Texas. You helped a new mother keep pressing on :)

Besides my SUV angels, many others served as angels, too, for Chris and I these past weeks. Friends from church reached out and visited. My family and friends talked to me and comforted me as I called them while doing my walking routine each day. The scriptures and words of modern prophets brought me direction and peace. Prayer sustained me. And we are making it! One of the biggest blessings was having my in-laws and my father visit this past weekend. It was such a relief to have help and just to have people around to talk to. We had such a fun weekend and I learned a lot of new tricks for taking care of Theresa. She definitely has some skillful grandparents :) They came just in time when I was really starting to feel at the end of my rope. What a blessing to have a loving, supportive family. I want to give the same gift to Theresa throughout her life <3

Sitting here, I'm reflecting on how we all have the opportunity to join in God's work of lifting people up in their sorrows and struggles. We can all be angels.

Here's one talk that comes to mind on this topic. It's fantastic: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/04/you-are-my-hands?lang=eng ("You are My Hands" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf)

This scripture also comes to mind: "...our brethren, the Lamanites, were in darkness, yea, even in the darkest abyss, but behold, how many of them are brought to behold the marvelous light of God! And this is the blessing which hath been bestowed upon us, that we have been made instruments in the hands of God to bring about this great work." (Alma 26:3)

And this: "10 Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;
 11 For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him.
 12 And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance.
 13 And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth!
 14 Wherefore, you are called to cry repentance unto this people.
 15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!" (D&C 18:10-15)

So, thank you to all our angels. You made more of a difference than you know. I'm trying to do the same and to be an instrument in the hands of God. Thanks again!


No comments:

Post a Comment